BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce is seeking an experienced Senior Internal Auditor to join their Internal Audit team. The Senior Internal Auditor is responsible for working under the direction of Internal Audit senior management in planning, executing, and reporting on Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance activities. Over time, the role is expected to expand to include participation in the Company’s enterprise risk management process and conducting operational audits of the Company. The position reports to the Sr. Director of Internal Audit, in this individual contributor role.
What you will do:
- Assist in the execution of the Company’s SOX compliance program including
- Initial scoping and risk assessment
- Perform IT and integrated audits
- Performing process walkthroughs to clearly identify process flows and controls.
- Working with business owners to update the Company’s documentation related to internal control over financial reporting including process narratives, process flowcharts and risk and control matrices
- Implementing audit programs to test the effectiveness of identified key controls
- Performing operating effectiveness testing and ensuring that test results are appropriately documented
- Communicating deficiencies and coordinating and reporting on deficiency remediation and process improvement status
- Remediation and retesting of identified control deficiencies
- Assist with external audit procedures on ICFR as required
- Assist in the execution of a variety of audit and integrated assurance engagements, including business process reviews and operational audits as assigned by Internal Audit management
- Recommend internal control improvements and operational enhancements or efficiencies
- Execute and complete all audit fieldwork according to the established schedule
- Document results of audit work in accordance with the Internal Audit Department and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) standards
- Frequently interact with functional peer groups at all levels, including senior management and external auditors
- Research and stay current on new technical literature applicable to the internal controls process (e.g., PCAOB guidance, SEC, etc.), emerging trends, and best practices
Who you are:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting/Finance or a related field
- Professional certification such as CPA, CIA, CISA
- 3 to 5 years overall experience in SOX Compliance and operational audits
- Experience with similar internal audit roles in technology industry organizations combined with a Big 4 audit firm background preferred
- Experience in business process flow identification and documentation
- Experience in design and operating effectiveness testing of Business controls, preferably in technology companies having a mix of internally developed and third-party SOX applications.
- Awareness of IT General Controls and Application controls
- Proficiency in MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Flowcharting software
- Experience in working with internal audit software such as Audit Board, and Workiva
- Working knowledge of US GAAP, COSO, PCAOB Auditing Standards, and the Professional Practices Framework of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Experience in the preparation and analysis of audit data through computer-aided audit tools such as Excel spreadsheets, ACL
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well with both internal and external stakeholders
- Highly motivated, proactive, and ability to work independently
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
Our employees make the difference. At BigCommerce, we believe that celebrating the unique histories, perspectives and abilities of every employee makes a difference for our company, our customers and our community. We are an equal opportunity employer and the inclusive atmosphere we build together will make room for every person to contribute, grow and thrive.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.